This photo shows the profile of the McKinley Bridge, connecting St. Louis, MO with Venice, IL. The McKinley Bridge was opened in 1910. The bridge was built by the City of Venice, IL and used by the Illinois Traction System, later Illinois Terminal Railroad. Contrary to popular believe, the bridge was named for Congressman William B. McKinley, Chief Executive of the ITS, whose electric interurban passenger trains crossed the Mississippi River her to access St. Louis.
(Photo by William A. Shaffer)